Monday, March 27, 2006

Homeland Security



Just got back in town from the left coast.

Stayed pretty zen through the 100-yard-long security line stretching outside Terminal 3 at LAX this morning. Got to the airport almost 2 hours before my domestic flight and barely made it onboard before take-off.

The Transportation Security Administration folks funneled anxious passengers from 6 different airlines through a narrow bottleneck lane with a chatty and charming agent controlling the flow.

She wanted to know how my day was going. I'm guessing she was a waitress in a local coffee shop at some previous point in her resume.

In spite of the nonchalant security lady and the geologic pace at LAX I'm a loyal soldier in the 'war on terror.' :^) So I want to give the TSA the benefit of the doubt.

Here's my theory.

They're attempting to frustrate potential terrorists into submission through the sheer power of organizational incompetence.

Sort of a brilliant, counter-intuitive, Inspector Clouseau approach to combatting terrorism if you think about it for a few minutes.

Their patriotic goal?

Making sure that the potential bombers--compulsively checking their watches and cursing under their breath in frustration along with everyone else in line--never make it to their designated flights.

It's a subtle but potentially effective strategy. Very subtle :^).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any comments on the Sensenberger immigration bill and the huge protests around the country?

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

err... Sensenbrenner, that is.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Wordcat said...

you're one step ahead of me--I'm planning to post on that next time :^)

4:35 PM  
Blogger 3wishes said...

Welcome back wordcat. I ran past 10 gates at dfw to get to a different security line once. Made my flight only because a nice man on one of those carts stopped and picked me up. The elderly lady behind me questioned, "So is this pick up going to make me miss my flight?" Wheres a terrorist when I need one. Ive been called many names but "pick-up" was new to me :^

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home