Saturday, September 16, 2006

Doofus Alert

Ran out of gas while driving my Jeep yesterday. First time I’ve managed that proud achievement since I road shouldered my Plymouth Barracuda as an undergrad.

When you do it at 20 you can count on a cool factor. Makes a great story and fits in with the irresponsible attitude that any self-respecting college guy should have.

But middle aged guys are supposed to be, well, middle aged guys :^)

Not to mention the fact that it’s a whole lot harder to run out of gas now than it was then.

No idiot lights or beepers on the Barracuda. You actually had to keep an eye on the gas gauge.

But when the Jeep gets low on jihad juice all hell breaks loose. You have to be blind and deaf or especially distracted to miss the message.

I guess the answer lay behind door number three.

So I had to walk about a quarter of a mile to a gas station/convenience store.

Bought myself a plastic funnel and a gallon of milk. Dumped the protein and rinsed out the plastic container.

Tried to fill my silly little jug without splashing gas all over myself. Only partially successfully.

Then, of course, I had to make the long walk back to the Jeep. On a sidewalk built with the hope that some person might actually walk on it once in a while. In front of dozens of drivers wondering why some guy would be carrying a milk container on foot.

Wish I’d bought a large paper bag to wear over my head too :^)

3 Comments:

Blogger 3wishes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably won't make you feel any better, but I ran out of gas when I was 16. I was working at a restaurant about a half-mile from where I was living. I was lazy, so I usually drove. But right when I pulled out of the driveway one day, the engine lost power. It was downhill to the restaurant, so I just coasted the rest of the way. I gained some "idiot points" from my family for that one.

Maybe I am too assuming to think that it will be a "one-time lesson". =)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Wordcat said...

Yeah, out of gas and downhill is probably the best :^)

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home