Saturday, December 02, 2006

60 Is The New 40?

This time of year I always pick up a copy of one of the national college hoops previews and read it cover to cover.

Most of those guides are crammed with the kinds of obscure trivia that only folks with a full-on basketball jones would appreciate. In order to jam in as much entertaining and useless trivia as possible the print is tiny and the paragraphs are packed in tight.

This year, for the first time, I struggled to read the fine print. Actually, I struggled to read the normal print. Ah, let’s be honest and say I struggled to read anything but the pictures at anything less than arm’s length :^)

They say that 50 is the new 40.

I guess better nutrition, health care and exercise made my gen the first to delay the customary physical nosedive of middle age.

Not sure what role better nutrition played in my case unless you consider Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms to be health foods. Of course, nutritionists claim that the more colorful the food the better it is for you, so maybe I ate better than I thought.

In spite of it all my generational advantages, middle age is finally catching up.

The ghost of my greatest gen Dad would haunt me and taunt me playfully if I ever considered Grecian formula. What would John Wayne do? So I’m a man without a color.

I’ve always thought that you can’t take joint cartilage with you and I’ve had a great time abusing it over the years, so I’m probably getting what I deserve. But man, when I get up in the morning I can usually tell you exactly where most of my joints are located. In my worst moments I can see where all this is going. Little electric cart and Clapper device, here I come....

The memory is starting to go too. Two weeks ago I got behind the wheel of my Jeep and drove about 6 blocks away before I realized that I had no idea why I was driving in the first place. Took me about ten seconds to recover the original errand out of the databanks. Yikes. If you see my picture on the back of a milk carton you’ll know what happened :^)

Maybe I’m just getting spooked with 50 on the horizon.

When I was turning 40 I thought the “50 is the new 40” slogan was cool and prophetic.

Now that I’m pushing 50 I’m looking for a second opinion.

Anyone for “60 is the new 40?” :^)

3 Comments:

Blogger 3wishes said...

Im going for 70 is the new 40. Seriously, the border patrol guy actually said " My, your aging well". I didnt know whether to kiss him or slap him. So I just said Thank-you. And then I thought yes, 70 is the new 40. It works for Joan Collins !! Everyone that was "cool" when I was growing up is hanging in there okay. Look at Mick and Paul. I think they look great. So, take a few pills, write more notes and celebrate the freedom that 50 will bring you!!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Wordcat said...

Great feedback 3. Any suggestions on the pills? :^)

8:16 PM  
Blogger 3wishes said...

I like: B12, bee pollen, melatonin for sleep and I will update with my thoughts on the "Detox" sea salt foot thing after Tues. Hope my "ions" are not too messed up :^

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home